Customer helpline: 0303 031 0446



1. The Certificate

Do you need a new Basic Disclosure every time you start at a new place of work?
It will be up to an employer to decide whether or not it is still valid or whether a new Basic Disclosure is required to be submitted.

What if you are self employed?  Do you need a new one every time you start at a new place of work?
It will be up to the client to decide if the Basic Disclosure is valid. They may ask for you to apply for a new Basic Disclosure.

How do you find out if you are already/still covered from a previous CRB check?
Basic Disclosures do not have and expiry date, only a start date. If you still have your certificate to hand, it is at your employers discretion to say if it is valid or whether they would need you to apply for a new Basic Disclosure.

How long will it take to get my certificate?
The processing time is out of our control as the certificate is produced and supplied by a 3rd party – Disclosure Scotland. The average processing time is 10 working days (however this can vary and if further enquiries are needed then the time will increase).

Who can ask for the Basic Disclosure?
The simple answer here is that anyone can ask you for a Basic Disclosure, however it is up to you if you wish to supply one, in most cases either an employer or employee will request a Basic Disclosure if it is required for employment.

Who keeps the certificate?
The Basic Disclosure is the property of the person who’s name is printed on the certificate.

What will show on a Basic Disclosure?
The Basic Disclosure will only show UNSPENT criminal convictions anything else will not show I.E. Spent convictions, cautions and warning.

How will I receive my certificate?
The certificate is posted 1st class by Disclosure Scotland once processing has been completed to your home address supplied on the application. Please note that once you apply you cannot alter the postal address.

How long is the certificate valid for?
There is no expiry date on the certificate. Usually it is at the discretion of the employer to stipulate how regularly an employee or contractor needs to renew their certificate. In most cases individuals are asked to apply for a new certificate every 12 months.


2. Completing the form

I don't have an NI number or Passport?
Please contact us by using the form on the contact us page.

My Payment online is not being accepted?
Here at we use Surf and Pay to securely manage our online payments, there are some card types we don't accept. If you find the payment isn't going through please contact us and we will investigate this.

The application online is not being accepted?
After completing the form, if the application doesn't proceed to payment page, please double check all mandatory information is complete and in the correct format. If you still can't proceed please contact us.

What does 'move in year' mean?
This is simply the year in which you moved into the address you have provided on your application. If you have multiple addresses where you moved in the same year, please just enter the same year again but please remember to supply 5 years address history as this is required to produce a valid certificate.


3. Useful information

How a Conviction becomes Spent?
The way in which a conviction can become 'spent' under the ROA will depend upon the sentence received for the offense, and the rehabilitation period that applies to that offense sentence. The principles apply to convictions in a criminal court, findings in a juvenile court, certain offenses in service disciplinary proceedings and hospital orders under the Mental Health Act 1983.

The time required before the conviction is spent - the rehabilitation period - will be different depending upon the nature and length of the sentence, be it a term of imprisonment, a fine, a surcharge order, probation, or an absolute or conditional discharge. Relevant rehabilitation periods are set out below.

Unless otherwise stated, the rehabilitation period runs from the date of the conviction and will generally depend upon compliance with the sentence.

Relevant Rehabilitation Periods

  • Sentence of imprisonment of more than two and a half years - Never
  • Sentence of imprisonment of more than six months but no more than two and a half years - 10 years
  • Youth custody for more than six months but no more than two and a half years - 10 years*
  • Corrective training for more than six months but no more than two and a half years - 10 years*
  • Dismissal with disgrace from Her Majesty's service - 10 years*
  • A sentence of Borstal training - 7 years Prison for six months or less - 7 years*
  • Dismissal from Her Majesty's service - 7 years*
  • Sentence of imprisonment or detention in YOI or youth custody for six months or less - 7 years*
  • Detention in respect of conviction in service disciplinary proceedings - 5 years*
  • (Most) fines - 5 years*
  • Sentence of young offender detention for over six months but not more than two and a half years - 5 years
  • Probation order or community order (person 18 or older) - 5 years
  • Probation order or community order (person under 18) - Either 2 and half years from conviction, or until the order ceases to have effect-whichever is the longer
  • Hospital order under Mental Health Act 1983 - Either 5 years, or 2 years after order ceases to have effect, whichever is the longer
  • Sentence of young offender detention fo not more than six months - 3 years
  • Conditional discharge, binding over, care order, supervision order, reception order - Either 1 year after making of order, or 1 year after the order ends, whichever is the longer
  • Absolute discharge - 6 months
  • Disqualification - The period of disqualification
  • Cautions, Warnings and Reprimands - Spent as soon as they are issued
  • Conditional cautions - Spent as soon as conditions end.

*Note: These periods are reduced by half if the offender was under eighteen at the date of conviction.


4. Services

Can I get a standard or Enhanced check?
Currently the only certificate we offer an administrative solution for is the Basic Disclosure.

I'm living abroad, can I still apply?
Yes you can still apply.

How can I contact you?
Visit our contact us page to send us a message. We aim to respond to all queries within 24 Hours


5. Payment

Who Pays for the certificate?
It is down to you and your employer to decide, the employer may take the cost on receipt of a clear disclosure or one that allows you to take up employment with the company.

Can I use a different payment type?
Yes we accept many different payment types, please complete the application and contact us to advise of the payment type.


6. Cancellation

Can I cancel my application?
If you change your mind prior to your application being processed then we will try to offer a full refund. In such circumstances as where we have already submitted your application and a relevant payment to Disclosure Scotland on your behalf, we may not be able to offer a full refund. In most cases we will not be able to recover the £25 certificate fee paid to Disclosure Scotland and therefore this amount will not be refunded if Disclosure Scotland are unable to refund CRB Direct. We may agree to refund the remaining service fee however this may be subject to an admin fee if work has already been carried out by us. Please check our terms and conditions for details of our current cancellation and refund policy.